EP71XX Quad Output IVR
Overview of the EP71XX IVR
The EP71XX Series is the industry’s highest density IVR, integrating four voltage rails in a miniature IC offering industry-leading performance and extensive fault protection without external discrete components.
The EP71XX series of quad-output step-down converters combine the industry’s highest current density and efficiency with the fastest dynamic voltage scaling (DVS) and transient response.
As with all products in Empower’s IVR family, the new digitally configurable voltage regulators can deliver protection functionality without the need for external discrete components making end products smaller and cheaper to manufacture.
| VIN (Min) (V)||3|
| VIN (Max) (V)||3.6|
| VOUT (Min) (V)||0.5|
| VOUT (Max) (V)||2.5|
| VDDIO (Min) (V)||1.2|
| VDDIO (Max) (V)||3.3|
| Operating temperature range (C)||-40 to +125|
| # of Outputs||1-4|
| Digital Interface||I2C|
| Package | Size||FcCSP | 5.0 x 7.0 mm|
- Up to four Integrated Voltage Regulators (IVR) with total current up to 12A
- Vin = 3.3V ± 10%
- No external discrete inductors or capacitors required
- Programmable output voltage: 0.5V to 2.5V
- Output voltage set point accuracy: ± 1.0% over PVT
- Ultra-fast transient response: < 20mV dip on full load in 500ns step
- Programmable Fast Dynamic Voltage Scaling: ± 6 mV/ns
- DVS On-Demand through user-programmable GPIO
- User-defined GPIO functions: DVS, PG, I2C alert, Over-current warning
- Flexibility to support wide range of digital interface logic levels (1.2 – 3.3V)
- Extensive fault protection: OVLO, UVLO, OVP, PG, current limiting, short-circuit protection
- Telemetry: accurate current (± 8%), voltage (± 1.5%) and temperature (± 4C) reporting
- Adjustable, fast soft-start with low in-rush current
- Built-in Programmable power sequencing (including multiple devices)
- Synchronization option to external clock
- I2C interface to coordinate sequencing, telemetry, DVS/AVS and diagnostics
- Offered in 5mm x 7mm FcCSP, and die form
Empower IVR™ EP71XX Product Family Fully integrated power supply on a chip - no discrete components
Learn More About the Features and Performance of the EP71XX IVR
Efficiency and Size Benefits
Empower’s IVRs are high-performance power management chips designed to provide efficiency, size, and cost benefits to energy-hungry, data-intensive, electronics applications by replacing traditional power management integrated circuits (PMICs) with a single tiny IC. IVRs monolithically integrate the voltage regulator semiconductor and all the necessary discrete components into a single device. Such integration simplifies the design and implementation of voltage regulation circuitry, improves efficiency by eliminating connection losses, reduces susceptibility to EMI, minimizes the bill of materials, enhances overall reliability and reduces PCB footprint.
The EP71XX series delivers an impressive 12A of continuous current with up to 4 voltage regulators in a single FcCSP package that measures just 5mm x 7mm and only 0.7mm in height! Maximum efficiencies can be achieved, minimizing losses across the widest possible range of operating conditions.
Ultra-fast transient response supports regulation through a load step and the programmable ‘ExpressV’ DVS-on-demand is capable of up to 6mV/ns. This feature is more than 1000x faster than other competing technologies and enables rapid, lossless, processor state changes that can significantly reduce processor power.
Extensive Built-in Flexibility
The new IVRs operate from a single 3.3V input and offer output current options up to 12A. The EP71XX family comprises a variety of devices that can provide the available 12A from one to four independent outputs. Output voltages are programmable from 0.5V to 2.5V and output voltage set-point accuracy is +/- 1.0%. Built-in fault protection and warning capabilities cover OVLO, UVLO, OVP, OCP and short-circuits.
The EP71XX devices pack a full suite of telemetry functionality to report voltage, current and die-temperature, and continue to feature programmable soft-start and DVS ramp rates via the digital interface. Enhancements to the EP71XX include advanced features such as user-programmable power-up/power-down sequencing, user-configurable logic levels and programmable GPIOs to enable customized system functionality. All configurations and diagnostics are available through a standard I2C interface.
Target applications for the new series will include optical transceivers, active cables, memory modules and storage devices, networking equipment such as GPON and Photonic Service Switches, PoL power for CPUs, GPUs, accelerators and AI processors and 5G systems.